Happy Wednesday!! The week is already halfway over! Here’s another BBQ Chicken recipe to try out. These yummy calzones are flavorful and super easy to make! Aaaand I used whole wheat flour so technically they’re healthy-ish, right? 😉
Try them out and let me know what you think!
Yields 4 Servings
For calzone filling:
1/8 cup red onions, chopped
1 cups BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp cilantro, chopped
1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add oil. Slowly mix in water, kneading mixture together to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add more water a teaspoon at a time. If it is too sticky, add flour a teaspoon at a time until texture is doughy, and does not stick to the side of the bowl. Knead dough for 3-4 minutes.
3. Split dough in half, and place each section on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll dough flat to form two oval shapes.
4. Place 1/2 cup BBQ chicken, 1 Tbsp chopped onion**, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of each dough oval. Fold remaining dough over filling, and secure the edges together by pressing them with a fork.
5. Brush the tops of each circle with egg white. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top with fresh cilantro.
Each calzone is cut in half, making 4 servings. ENJOY!!
**Optional: Sauté onions in frying pan with olive oil for 4-5 minutes before adding to calzone mixture. I did this with mine just cause I don’t like them to be too crunchy. But it’s yummy either way! You can also add more cheese if you want!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 256, Fat 8, Carbs 28, Protein 18