A yummy fall salad the whole family can enjoy!
4 cups spinach or mixed greens
2 cups of raw broccoli florets
8 ounces of chicken breast
1/2 cup chickpeas (canned/prepared)
2 strips of bacon or turkey bacon
1/2 of a medium avocado, sliced
2 Tbs dried cranberries
Lemon zest from 1/2 of a lemon (optional)
2 Tbs of olive oil for food preparation
Salt and Pepper
Red pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbs olive oil
1.5 Tbs maple syrup
1 T Balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Place clean broccoli florets on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Drizzle approximately 1 Tbs of olive oil on top of florets, toss with spoons or hands until the broccoli is well-coated. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place baking sheet in oven and cook broccoli for 20-25 minutes. Florets should be easy to spear with a fork and slightly soft when cooked. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Grill bacon in a medium pan over medium high heat until cooked thoroughly, set aside.
5. Put 1 Tbs olive oil in a medium fry pan. Place chicken in pan and season with salt and pepper. (Can add a dash of red pepper flakes for a little kick!) Over medium/high heat cook chicken for 7-8 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Let chicken sit for 4-5 minutes, then cut into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
7. Assemble your salad! Place spinach/mixed greens in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and toss slightly to mix. Add broccoli, chicken, chickpeas, cranberries, and avocado. Crumble bacon and place on top.
8. For the dressing mix all 3 ingredients in a jar or container with a lid and shake well. Drizzle on top of salad and ENJOY!!
**This salad is also tasty with classic ranch, cilantro dressing, or balsamic vinaigrette! Take your pick!!