Don’t be fooled by the title. Sometimes recipes say “easy”, and it’s not what you expect. 18 million ingredients, lots of hours, and too many dishes later and your version of the recipe is nothing like what you hoped it’d be. Not to mention your kitchen is a mess! No worries, this is nothing like that! When I say that this is “Easy Crockpot BBQ Chicken”, I mean it! In fact I think you’ll laugh when you see that the two ingredients are literally chicken and BBQ sauce. Ha!
When I make this recipe I like to make a larger batch that I can use throughout the week. Stay tuned for my BBQ Chicken series this week and I’ll show you that a little meal prep with this chicken can go a long way!
3 chicken breasts (about 8-10oz)
1 cup BBQ sauce of choice
1. Place thawed, raw chicken breast in crockpot.
2. Add BBQ sauce. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s brand, but I also really like the brands ‘Stubb’s’ and ‘KC Masterpiece”.
3. Cook on high for 3 hours, or until cooked through. (Times may vary depending on your crockpot- it may be less, so check on it after 2.5 hours). Once it is cooked, remove the breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces.
4. Replace chicken back into crockpot, and cook on low for 45 minutes. At this point you may need to add 2 or 3 more Tbsp of BBQ sauce if your chicken looks thirsty for more liquid. I’ll leave that up to you.
That’s it!! Enjoy!! Tomorrow I’ll be posting one of four recipes that involve this yummy shredded chicken. Stay tuned! 🙂
Yields about eight 1/2 cup servings of shredded chicken
Every Sunday night growing up was treat night in the Cook house! My dad usually took the lead on making the treats, and us kids would gobble them up. These cookies are a classic recipe that made an appearance all too often, but I’m not sad about it cause they’re delicious! They are fluffy and sweet- everything a chocolate chip cookie should be!
Now, I must warn you, that this recipe makes A LOT of cookies. In fact when I made them today it yielded about SIXTY cookies. That’s right, 60. I ate a couple, then shared some with my husband, with my parents, with my neighbors, and then with my neighbors’ neighbors. And still had a few left over! So if you’re up for that many, follow the recipe exactly! If not, you’ll want to cut it in half. Or even use 1/3 of it. 🙂
1 cup shortening
2 cup sugar
3 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
5 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
12 oz mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Put sugar in mixing bowl or KitchenAid, then add shortening. Mix these two ingredients (with electric beater or KitchenAid) for 2-3 minutes or until combined well. Mixture should not be powdery; all sugar should be incorporated into the shortening.
4. Next, add beaten eggs and vanilla. Beat until mixed well.
5. Add sour cream and beat mixture for 3 minutes. Mixture should be whipped and creamy.
6. Add flour mixture slowly, about 1 cup at a time, mix well.
7. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in chocolate chips.
8. Drop dough by teaspoonful on greased baking sheet or silicone baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
This is a simple, tasty recipe that you can throw together with ingredients that are most likely in your kitchen right now!! I looooove sandwiches, (seriously though, they are the yummiest) and I love how it takes hardly any prep time to make them- not to mention there are so many different possibilities! This lemon-basil combo will be one that you’ll come back to again and again!
Yields 4 Sandwiches
8 slices ciabatta bread
2 8oz chicken breasts
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp lemon juice, divided
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup mayo
5-6 large leaves fresh basil
2 medium cloves garlic
1. On a shallow dish or plate, mix 3 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and Italian seasoning together. Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create four thin, flat pieces of chicken. Place chicken in lemon mixture and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Grill chicken in frying pan on medium-high heat, cooking thoroughly. Set aside.
3. To prepare basil mayo: place mayo, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, garlic cloves, and basil in food processor. Mix ingredients in food processor until thoroughly blended.
4. Warm ciabatta bread in toaster. Assemble sandwich with basil mayo, lemon chicken, and toppings of choice! I used provolone cheese, red onion, tomato, avocado, and baby spinach.
Bell peppers are my frienddddsss!! They can be filled with so many different combinations of foods (if you ask me anything with cheese is a safe choice), and they are a way to get a serving of veggies in for the day!
2 Bell Peppers, any color
8 oz ground chicken
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup canned corn
2 Tbsp. canned diced green chiles
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup green onions, chopped
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove seeds from inside. Place peppers in microwave safe bowl with 3 Tbsp water (or enough to cover bottom of bowl). Cover, and microwave for 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. Combine chicken, onion powder, and garlic powder together. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Brown ground chicken in frying pan, cook thoroughly. Set aside.
4. In medium-sized bowl, mix together cream cheese, beans, corn, chiles, and cumin. Add chicken to mixture and stir until mixed well.
5. Place peppers in foil-lined baking pan, open side up. Fill each pepper with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Remove pan from oven, uncover, and top each pepper with 1-2 Tbsp of shredded mozzarella. Return pan to oven, uncovered, and bake for 7 minutes.
7. Remove pan from oven and place peppers on serving dish. Top with green onions. ENJOY!
Here’s a classic recipe that everyone recognizes, but with a twist! Rather than pasta, this mac n’ cheese is made with cauliflower florets. It’s simple, healthy, and super tasty! Give it a try and tell me what you think!
3-4 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or you can use whatever flavor of cheese you’d like!)
4 strips of bacon
2 tbsp green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry bacon, set aside.
2. Steam cauliflower. You can use a steamer, or use the microwave. Place florets in microwave safe bowl. Add small amount of water to the bowl, just enough to cover the bottom. Cover bowl with microwave-safe lid or plate, and microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until florets are tender. Drain off excess water.
3. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in cornstarch. Once mixed, add in milk, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently to keep milk from burning. Bring to boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cheese. Stir until melted. Add in cauliflower.
5. Divide Mac n’ Cheese into four serving dishes. Crumble bacon. Top each dish with crumbled bacon and green onions.
Calories per serving 238
This yummy, fluffy pancake recipe is one that my grandmother used to make. It had been a while since I had eaten them, but this last weekend I whipped up the recipe and they were just as delicious as I remember them! The yogurt adds a creamy, tangy touch. And they’re packed with flavor! The fun thing about pancakes is you can make a big batch, put them in the fridge or freezer, and heat them up throughout the week. Ooorrr if you’re like me you can just eat an entire batch all by yourself in one sitting.
1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup flour or almond flour**
2 Tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1. Mix together all dry ingredients in medium bowl . Set aside.
2. Beat egg in large bowl, gradually add and mix in yogurt. Add vanilla and oil.
3. Stir in dry ingredients to yogurt mixture.
4. Heat griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
5. Let mixture rest for 7-10 minutes before cooking. *THIS STEP IS SO IMPORTANT, SO PLEASE DON’T SKIP IT*
6. Use 1/4 cup to scoop pancake mix onto griddle. Cook for 1.5-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Top with fresh fruit, syrup, or powdered sugar. Enjoy!!
**If using almond flour instead of regular flour, add 1/4 cup extra almond flour to recipe. Be patient when cooking- let them cook thoroughly before flipping. Almond flour pancakes will naturally be a little less fluffy than those with regular flour, but just as delicious!!
Yields 8-10 servings
Per serving, made with Almond Flour
Noodles noodles & ZOODLES!!
These spiraled zucchinis are a great substitute for regular noodles. They are low-calorie, low-carb, and are an alternative option if you have certain diet restrictions such as gluten. One great thing about these is you can flavor and spice them up however you want! All you need is a zucchini squash (yellow or green is fine), some olive oil, and a spiralizer. I use this one. I like it because it’s super simple to use and it is small, so it doesn’t take up a ton of room in my cupboard/counter!
1/2 Tbsp of olive oil
Desired seasonings. Some options are: garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper, chili powder, etc.
1. Wash zucchini with water. Use spiralizer to make long, noodle-like strips.
2. Put olive oil in bottom of frying pan. Turn on coil to medium-high heat, and add zucchini to pan. Add desired spices.
3. Sauté zucchini for 5-7 minutes, or until the noodles turn tender. *If you prefer your noodles to be slightly crunchier, sauté for less time.
4. Use zoodles with spaghetti sauce, cheese, or alredo, etc! The options are endless!
*Note that the zucchini will shrink in size once it is cooked. Typically one medium zucchini can serve two people.
This yummy, creamy recipe will have everyone coming back for more!
The reason I love this recipe is because it’s so versatile. You can put it on top of pasta, rice, or veggies (I use zucchini noodles!) Typically when I have a recipe that’s high in fat, I like to keep my carbs lower. That way it keeps my calories in check. For instance, we ate this last night, and I put it on top of zucchini. Super yummy, and very filling! But if you aren’t picky about carbs, you can’t go wrong with regular pasta! (As shown below).
12 ounces of frozen shrimp (I use de-veined and de-tailed)
¼ cup of onion, chopped
1 T of butter
2 teaspoons of corn starch
¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning
¼ cup of chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup of heavy cream
¼ cup parmesan cheese
4 servings of cooked pasta, or zucchini noodles for serving
1. Thaw shrimp by placing it in a bowl of lukewarm water. It should be gray in color and squishy to the touch.
2. Place butter in frying pan along with onion. On medium heat, sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Add shrimp to pan. Cook for 4 minutes, or until shrimp becomes light pink in color.
3. Add broth and heavy cream to pan. With a whisk, mix in cornstarch one teaspoon at a time.
4. Stir in spices and parmesan cheese. Bring to boil and let simmer for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally so that your cream doesn’t burn! At this point the sauce should begin to thicken.
5. Pour sauce over pasta, or for a low-carb option, use zucchini noodles (recipe on next post). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper as desired. ENJOY!
*Nutritional facts note shrimp sauce only, pasta not included
Almond & Parmesan-Crusted Tilapia
2 8-ounce filets of tilapia
1/3 cup of almond flour
2 ounces of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 teaspoon of mustard
1 ½ teaspoons of lemon juice
dash of salt
dash of ground black pepper
½ cup of raw almonds
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place almonds in a food processor and blend until coarsely chopped. Place almonds on a plate and add Parmesan cheese. Add a dash of salt and pepper, mix, and set aside.
- In a shallow dish or plate mix cream cheese, mustard, and lemon juice. Blend with a fork until smooth. Add a dash of ground black pepper.
*You can also mix these ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer and then transfer to a shallow dish or plate afterwards.
- Place almond flour on a plate. Dip each filet into almond flour, removing any excess.
- Place filet in cream cheese mixture and coat thoroughly. (Warning: This part can be kind of messy. You can use a spoon or spatula to spread a generous amount of the cream cheese mixture onto the filets, or if you’re feeling adventurous just dig in a use your hands!)
- Next, roll your filet in almond/parmesan mixture. Make sure to coat it all!
- Place filet on a pre-greased, tin-foil-lined baking sheet. (You can sprinkle a little extra parmesan on top of each filet at this point if you prefer more!) Cook in oven at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes. Fish should be white and flaky once it is cooked through.
- Transfer fish to serving plate and top with lemon juice and salt and pepper. This can be served with steamed vegetables, rice, or noodles. Enjoy!!
*This recipe is intended for each filet to be split in two, to create four 4-ounce servings of fish.
Nutritional facts per serving:
Fat 19 grams
Carbs 6 grams
Protein 29 grams
Here we are. My first post.
Thanks for tuning in. 🙂
More to come!!