A yummy fall salad the whole family can enjoy!
4 cups spinach or mixed greens
2 cups of raw broccoli florets
8 ounces of chicken breast
1/2 cup chickpeas (canned/prepared)
2 strips of bacon or turkey bacon
1/2 of a medium avocado, sliced
2 Tbs dried cranberries
Lemon zest from 1/2 of a lemon (optional)
2 Tbs of olive oil for food preparation
Salt and Pepper
Red pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbs olive oil
1.5 Tbs maple syrup
1 T Balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Place clean broccoli florets on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Drizzle approximately 1 Tbs of olive oil on top of florets, toss with spoons or hands until the broccoli is well-coated. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place baking sheet in oven and cook broccoli for 20-25 minutes. Florets should be easy to spear with a fork and slightly soft when cooked. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Grill bacon in a medium pan over medium high heat until cooked thoroughly, set aside.
5. Put 1 Tbs olive oil in a medium fry pan. Place chicken in pan and season with salt and pepper. (Can add a dash of red pepper flakes for a little kick!) Over medium/high heat cook chicken for 7-8 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Let chicken sit for 4-5 minutes, then cut into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
7. Assemble your salad! Place spinach/mixed greens in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and toss slightly to mix. Add broccoli, chicken, chickpeas, cranberries, and avocado. Crumble bacon and place on top.
8. For the dressing mix all 3 ingredients in a jar or container with a lid and shake well. Drizzle on top of salad and ENJOY!!
**This salad is also tasty with classic ranch, cilantro dressing, or balsamic vinaigrette! Take your pick!!
Raise your hands if you love enchiladas!! Here’s a tasty, healthy, vegetarian rendition that will make you love them even more! Now don’t be scared of the squash.. ya can’t knock it til you try it!
Yields 4 servings
4 tortillas of choice
1 cup cooked butternut squash
1/2 cup black beans
2 Tbsp canned diced green chiles
1 Tbsp cream cheese
1 cup+2 Tbsp green enchilada sauce
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice
**Butternut squash can be cooked by cutting it in half, and baking in the oven face down on a cookie sheet. I cooked mine for 45-50 minutes (until tender) with the oven at 400 degrees!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place butternut squash, beans, diced chiles, cream cheese, 2 Tbsp of enchilada sauce, onion powder, and cumin in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada squash in the bottom of an 8x8in pan. Divide squash mixture and fill the 4 tortillas, (I used Mission Brand Low-Carb Whole Wheat tortillas! Love em!), and place tortillas in the pan.
4. Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, and top with shredded cheese.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with avocado and tomatoes, and ENJOY!!
Woooooooowweeeeee that’s quite a mouthful of a title! But I’ll tell ya what, you don’t want to miss out on this! These rice bowls are packed with flavor, and it’s a dish that the whole family will love!
Yields 4 servings
Chili Lime Chicken:
12 oz raw chicken breast
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp avocado, crushed
1 small clove garlic
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 cups cooked rice, or riced cauliflower
1 cup black beans
1/2 cup mixed bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp red onion, chopped
1/4 cup avocado
1. To prepare the chicken: Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. In a bowl mix lime juice, chili seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Place chicken into the bowl with chili/lime mixture and let marinate for 20 minutes. In frying pan with olive oil, cook chicken over medium high heat for 7-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside.
2. To prepare dressing: Put yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, avocado, onion powder, and garlic clove into food processor. Mix until smooth. If dressing is too thick, add 1 to 2 Tbsp of water until it reaches desired texture.
3. Assemble the bowls! Pile lettuce, rice, beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes and avocado into your bowl. Then add chili lime chicken and cilantro dressing. Top with freshly chopped cilantro, and ENJOY!!
BBQ Chicken Salad with Orange Vinaigrette! This one is probably my favorite recipes of the BBQ Chicken series I’ve done this week. The citrus dressing is light and tangy, and compliments the chicken so well! I added other fruits and nuts to my salad, but this would be good with veggies and classic ranch as well! Have at it, and have a happy weekend!!
Yields 2 Servings
For the salad:
2 cups mixed greens
1 cup BBQ chicken (recipe found here)
1/4 cup chopped strawberries
1/2 of an avocado
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped oranged
1/4 cup chopped pecans
For the dressing:
1 cup orange juice
1/2 Tbsp honey
1/2 Tbsp ground mustard
1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1. Place all ingredients for the dressing in a food processor. Mix well.
2. Assemble ingredients of the salad on a plate or bowl, top with dressing. Recipe yields 2 servings.
Three cheers for yet another BBQ chicken recipe! And three cheers for super easy dinners! It literally took me 10 minutes to make this, thanks to having my BBQ chicken already prepped and ready to go. You can find the recipe for the BBQ here!
Yields 4 servings
2 English muffins
1 cup prepared BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
2 Tbsp Ranch dressing
2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce (optional)
8 tomato slices
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Cut English muffins in half, and toast them in toaster.
3. After toasting, place muffins on tin foil-lined baking sheet. Add 1/2 Tbsp ranch, 1/4 cup chicken, 2 tomato slices, and 2 Tbsp cheese on top of each muffin. (In no particular order, just go for it!)
4. Put pan in oven and cook on broil for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
5. Top muffins with more ranch or BBQ sauce as desired, and fresh cilantro. Recipe makes 4 muffin halves, 1 serving each. ENJOY!!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 202, Fat 6, Carbs 19, Protein 18
Happy Wednesday!! The week is already halfway over! Here’s another BBQ Chicken recipe to try out. These yummy calzones are flavorful and super easy to make! Aaaand I used whole wheat flour so technically they’re healthy-ish, right? 😉
Try them out and let me know what you think!
Yields 4 Servings
For calzone filling:
1/8 cup red onions, chopped
1 cups BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp cilantro, chopped
1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add oil. Slowly mix in water, kneading mixture together to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add more water a teaspoon at a time. If it is too sticky, add flour a teaspoon at a time until texture is doughy, and does not stick to the side of the bowl. Knead dough for 3-4 minutes.
3. Split dough in half, and place each section on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll dough flat to form two oval shapes.
4. Place 1/2 cup BBQ chicken, 1 Tbsp chopped onion**, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of each dough oval. Fold remaining dough over filling, and secure the edges together by pressing them with a fork.
5. Brush the tops of each circle with egg white. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top with fresh cilantro.
Each calzone is cut in half, making 4 servings. ENJOY!!
**Optional: Sauté onions in frying pan with olive oil for 4-5 minutes before adding to calzone mixture. I did this with mine just cause I don’t like them to be too crunchy. But it’s yummy either way! You can also add more cheese if you want!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 256, Fat 8, Carbs 28, Protein 18
The first of the BBQ Chicken recipes is here for ya! On my last post, (click here) I shared how to make easy BBQ chicken in a crockpot. BBQ chicken can be used in so many ways, and when you have it prepped ahead of time it makes it easy to throw dinner together. I’m all about saving time! This sweet and tangy pineapple chicken is yummy over rice. (And to be honest, if you’re not a fan of pineapple, the BBQ chicken by itself is GREAT over rice; that’s how we always ate it growing up at my house!) All you’ll need is a few ingredients and wah-lah! Dinner is served!
Yields 2 servings
1 cup prepared shredded BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
1 8oz can pineapple chunks, drained
2 Tbsp BBQ sauce of choice (optional if you like your chicken with extra sauce)
2 servings of cooked rice
1. Place pineapple chunks in frying pan over medium heat. Heat pineapple for 4-5 minutes or until warm.
2. Add chicken and BBQ sauce to pan. Stir and heat for 4-5 minutes.
3. Serve over warm rice. Can top with optional toppings such as: crushed cashews, shredded coconut. Add veggies on the side for a balanced meal!
Don’t be fooled by the title. Sometimes recipes say “easy”, and it’s not what you expect. 18 million ingredients, lots of hours, and too many dishes later and your version of the recipe is nothing like what you hoped it’d be. Not to mention your kitchen is a mess! No worries, this is nothing like that! When I say that this is “Easy Crockpot BBQ Chicken”, I mean it! In fact I think you’ll laugh when you see that the two ingredients are literally chicken and BBQ sauce. Ha!
When I make this recipe I like to make a larger batch that I can use throughout the week. Stay tuned for my BBQ Chicken series this week and I’ll show you that a little meal prep with this chicken can go a long way!
3 chicken breasts (about 8-10oz)
1 cup BBQ sauce of choice
1. Place thawed, raw chicken breast in crockpot.
2. Add BBQ sauce. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s brand, but I also really like the brands ‘Stubb’s’ and ‘KC Masterpiece”.
3. Cook on high for 3 hours, or until cooked through. (Times may vary depending on your crockpot- it may be less, so check on it after 2.5 hours). Once it is cooked, remove the breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces.
4. Replace chicken back into crockpot, and cook on low for 45 minutes. At this point you may need to add 2 or 3 more Tbsp of BBQ sauce if your chicken looks thirsty for more liquid. I’ll leave that up to you.
That’s it!! Enjoy!! Tomorrow I’ll be posting one of four recipes that involve this yummy shredded chicken. Stay tuned! 🙂
Yields about eight 1/2 cup servings of shredded chicken
This is a simple, tasty recipe that you can throw together with ingredients that are most likely in your kitchen right now!! I looooove sandwiches, (seriously though, they are the yummiest) and I love how it takes hardly any prep time to make them- not to mention there are so many different possibilities! This lemon-basil combo will be one that you’ll come back to again and again!
Yields 4 Sandwiches
8 slices ciabatta bread
2 8oz chicken breasts
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 Tbsp lemon juice, divided
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup mayo
5-6 large leaves fresh basil
2 medium cloves garlic
1. On a shallow dish or plate, mix 3 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and Italian seasoning together. Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create four thin, flat pieces of chicken. Place chicken in lemon mixture and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Grill chicken in frying pan on medium-high heat, cooking thoroughly. Set aside.
3. To prepare basil mayo: place mayo, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, garlic cloves, and basil in food processor. Mix ingredients in food processor until thoroughly blended.
4. Warm ciabatta bread in toaster. Assemble sandwich with basil mayo, lemon chicken, and toppings of choice! I used provolone cheese, red onion, tomato, avocado, and baby spinach.
Bell peppers are my frienddddsss!! They can be filled with so many different combinations of foods (if you ask me anything with cheese is a safe choice), and they are a way to get a serving of veggies in for the day!
2 Bell Peppers, any color
8 oz ground chicken
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup canned corn
2 Tbsp. canned diced green chiles
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup green onions, chopped
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove seeds from inside. Place peppers in microwave safe bowl with 3 Tbsp water (or enough to cover bottom of bowl). Cover, and microwave for 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. Combine chicken, onion powder, and garlic powder together. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Brown ground chicken in frying pan, cook thoroughly. Set aside.
4. In medium-sized bowl, mix together cream cheese, beans, corn, chiles, and cumin. Add chicken to mixture and stir until mixed well.
5. Place peppers in foil-lined baking pan, open side up. Fill each pepper with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Remove pan from oven, uncover, and top each pepper with 1-2 Tbsp of shredded mozzarella. Return pan to oven, uncovered, and bake for 7 minutes.
7. Remove pan from oven and place peppers on serving dish. Top with green onions. ENJOY!
Here’s a classic recipe that everyone recognizes, but with a twist! Rather than pasta, this mac n’ cheese is made with cauliflower florets. It’s simple, healthy, and super tasty! Give it a try and tell me what you think!
3-4 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or you can use whatever flavor of cheese you’d like!)
4 strips of bacon
2 tbsp green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry bacon, set aside.
2. Steam cauliflower. You can use a steamer, or use the microwave. Place florets in microwave safe bowl. Add small amount of water to the bowl, just enough to cover the bottom. Cover bowl with microwave-safe lid or plate, and microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until florets are tender. Drain off excess water.
3. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in cornstarch. Once mixed, add in milk, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently to keep milk from burning. Bring to boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cheese. Stir until melted. Add in cauliflower.
5. Divide Mac n’ Cheese into four serving dishes. Crumble bacon. Top each dish with crumbled bacon and green onions.
Calories per serving 238
This yummy, fluffy pancake recipe is one that my grandmother used to make. It had been a while since I had eaten them, but this last weekend I whipped up the recipe and they were just as delicious as I remember them! The yogurt adds a creamy, tangy touch. And they’re packed with flavor! The fun thing about pancakes is you can make a big batch, put them in the fridge or freezer, and heat them up throughout the week. Ooorrr if you’re like me you can just eat an entire batch all by yourself in one sitting.
1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup flour or almond flour**
2 Tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1. Mix together all dry ingredients in medium bowl . Set aside.
2. Beat egg in large bowl, gradually add and mix in yogurt. Add vanilla and oil.
3. Stir in dry ingredients to yogurt mixture.
4. Heat griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
5. Let mixture rest for 7-10 minutes before cooking. *THIS STEP IS SO IMPORTANT, SO PLEASE DON’T SKIP IT*
6. Use 1/4 cup to scoop pancake mix onto griddle. Cook for 1.5-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Top with fresh fruit, syrup, or powdered sugar. Enjoy!!
**If using almond flour instead of regular flour, add 1/4 cup extra almond flour to recipe. Be patient when cooking- let them cook thoroughly before flipping. Almond flour pancakes will naturally be a little less fluffy than those with regular flour, but just as delicious!!
Yields 8-10 servings
Per serving, made with Almond Flour