I haven’t posted for a few days, because I have been sick sick SICK. A little flu bug has been going around the last little while and I finally caught it. Thankfully I’ve got the nicest husband who takes the best care of me! Here’s a little sweet treat that I made a couple weeks ago but am just getting around to posting. It’s the Rice Krispie treat that we all know and love, with a yummy butterscotch and chocolatey twist!
3 Tbsp butter
10 oz marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1. Over medium heat, melt butter and butterscotch chips in medium sauce pan. Stir in vanilla. Add marshmallows, stir in until melted.
2. Remove pan from heat, and immediately stir in Rice Krispie cereal. Mix thoroughly.
3. Spread mixture into greased 9x13in pan. Set aside.
4. Melt dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in small pan over medium heat. Once melted, spread over top of butterscotch treats.
BBQ Chicken Salad with Orange Vinaigrette! This one is probably my favorite recipes of the BBQ Chicken series I’ve done this week. The citrus dressing is light and tangy, and compliments the chicken so well! I added other fruits and nuts to my salad, but this would be good with veggies and classic ranch as well! Have at it, and have a happy weekend!!
Yields 2 Servings
For the salad:
2 cups mixed greens
1 cup BBQ chicken (recipe found here)
1/4 cup chopped strawberries
1/2 of an avocado
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped oranged
1/4 cup chopped pecans
For the dressing:
1 cup orange juice
1/2 Tbsp honey
1/2 Tbsp ground mustard
1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1. Place all ingredients for the dressing in a food processor. Mix well.
2. Assemble ingredients of the salad on a plate or bowl, top with dressing. Recipe yields 2 servings.
Three cheers for yet another BBQ chicken recipe! And three cheers for super easy dinners! It literally took me 10 minutes to make this, thanks to having my BBQ chicken already prepped and ready to go. You can find the recipe for the BBQ here!
Yields 4 servings
2 English muffins
1 cup prepared BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
2 Tbsp Ranch dressing
2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce (optional)
8 tomato slices
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Cut English muffins in half, and toast them in toaster.
3. After toasting, place muffins on tin foil-lined baking sheet. Add 1/2 Tbsp ranch, 1/4 cup chicken, 2 tomato slices, and 2 Tbsp cheese on top of each muffin. (In no particular order, just go for it!)
4. Put pan in oven and cook on broil for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
5. Top muffins with more ranch or BBQ sauce as desired, and fresh cilantro. Recipe makes 4 muffin halves, 1 serving each. ENJOY!!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 202, Fat 6, Carbs 19, Protein 18
Happy Wednesday!! The week is already halfway over! Here’s another BBQ Chicken recipe to try out. These yummy calzones are flavorful and super easy to make! Aaaand I used whole wheat flour so technically they’re healthy-ish, right? 😉
Try them out and let me know what you think!
Yields 4 Servings
For calzone filling:
1/8 cup red onions, chopped
1 cups BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp cilantro, chopped
1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add oil. Slowly mix in water, kneading mixture together to form a dough. If the dough is too dry, add more water a teaspoon at a time. If it is too sticky, add flour a teaspoon at a time until texture is doughy, and does not stick to the side of the bowl. Knead dough for 3-4 minutes.
3. Split dough in half, and place each section on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll dough flat to form two oval shapes.
4. Place 1/2 cup BBQ chicken, 1 Tbsp chopped onion**, and 1/4 cup cheese on one side of each dough oval. Fold remaining dough over filling, and secure the edges together by pressing them with a fork.
5. Brush the tops of each circle with egg white. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top with fresh cilantro.
Each calzone is cut in half, making 4 servings. ENJOY!!
**Optional: Sauté onions in frying pan with olive oil for 4-5 minutes before adding to calzone mixture. I did this with mine just cause I don’t like them to be too crunchy. But it’s yummy either way! You can also add more cheese if you want!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 256, Fat 8, Carbs 28, Protein 18
The first of the BBQ Chicken recipes is here for ya! On my last post, (click here) I shared how to make easy BBQ chicken in a crockpot. BBQ chicken can be used in so many ways, and when you have it prepped ahead of time it makes it easy to throw dinner together. I’m all about saving time! This sweet and tangy pineapple chicken is yummy over rice. (And to be honest, if you’re not a fan of pineapple, the BBQ chicken by itself is GREAT over rice; that’s how we always ate it growing up at my house!) All you’ll need is a few ingredients and wah-lah! Dinner is served!
Yields 2 servings
1 cup prepared shredded BBQ Chicken (find recipe here)
1 8oz can pineapple chunks, drained
2 Tbsp BBQ sauce of choice (optional if you like your chicken with extra sauce)
2 servings of cooked rice
1. Place pineapple chunks in frying pan over medium heat. Heat pineapple for 4-5 minutes or until warm.
2. Add chicken and BBQ sauce to pan. Stir and heat for 4-5 minutes.
3. Serve over warm rice. Can top with optional toppings such as: crushed cashews, shredded coconut. Add veggies on the side for a balanced meal!
Don’t be fooled by the title. Sometimes recipes say “easy”, and it’s not what you expect. 18 million ingredients, lots of hours, and too many dishes later and your version of the recipe is nothing like what you hoped it’d be. Not to mention your kitchen is a mess! No worries, this is nothing like that! When I say that this is “Easy Crockpot BBQ Chicken”, I mean it! In fact I think you’ll laugh when you see that the two ingredients are literally chicken and BBQ sauce. Ha!
When I make this recipe I like to make a larger batch that I can use throughout the week. Stay tuned for my BBQ Chicken series this week and I’ll show you that a little meal prep with this chicken can go a long way!
3 chicken breasts (about 8-10oz)
1 cup BBQ sauce of choice
1. Place thawed, raw chicken breast in crockpot.
2. Add BBQ sauce. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s brand, but I also really like the brands ‘Stubb’s’ and ‘KC Masterpiece”.
3. Cook on high for 3 hours, or until cooked through. (Times may vary depending on your crockpot- it may be less, so check on it after 2.5 hours). Once it is cooked, remove the breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces.
4. Replace chicken back into crockpot, and cook on low for 45 minutes. At this point you may need to add 2 or 3 more Tbsp of BBQ sauce if your chicken looks thirsty for more liquid. I’ll leave that up to you.
That’s it!! Enjoy!! Tomorrow I’ll be posting one of four recipes that involve this yummy shredded chicken. Stay tuned! 🙂
Yields about eight 1/2 cup servings of shredded chicken
Every Sunday night growing up was treat night in the Cook house! My dad usually took the lead on making the treats, and us kids would gobble them up. These cookies are a classic recipe that made an appearance all too often, but I’m not sad about it cause they’re delicious! They are fluffy and sweet- everything a chocolate chip cookie should be!
Now, I must warn you, that this recipe makes A LOT of cookies. In fact when I made them today it yielded about SIXTY cookies. That’s right, 60. I ate a couple, then shared some with my husband, with my parents, with my neighbors, and then with my neighbors’ neighbors. And still had a few left over! So if you’re up for that many, follow the recipe exactly! If not, you’ll want to cut it in half. Or even use 1/3 of it. 🙂
1 cup shortening
2 cup sugar
3 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
5 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
12 oz mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Put sugar in mixing bowl or KitchenAid, then add shortening. Mix these two ingredients (with electric beater or KitchenAid) for 2-3 minutes or until combined well. Mixture should not be powdery; all sugar should be incorporated into the shortening.
4. Next, add beaten eggs and vanilla. Beat until mixed well.
5. Add sour cream and beat mixture for 3 minutes. Mixture should be whipped and creamy.
6. Add flour mixture slowly, about 1 cup at a time, mix well.
7. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in chocolate chips.
8. Drop dough by teaspoonful on greased baking sheet or silicone baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.